Thursday, July 28, 2011

Trip to Flagstaff/Rant/Prayer Request

So, this week, PK and I went to Flagstaff with Aunty Courtney to visit our newlywed friends, Kelsey and Nate! Here are some pictures!









We had the best time. Uncle Nate WAS there, for some reason he isn't in any pictures.... but PK had a lot of fun with him! Especially while us girls shopped! Speaking of shopping:


I've been reading a book called EVERYDAY JUSTICE by Julie Clawson. It's all about ethical and just shopping choices, of all kinds. So I've been delving into information on sweatshops and corporations, etc.... Today was my first "I'm really going to try 'just' shopping" day. I needed to buy some groceries and back-to-school supplies for my church because we are doing a "backpack drive." Basically, since I don't know where Target (Wal-Mart was a NO-GO! We all know they use sweat shops) gets their products I label checked everything for Made in the USA. A product made in the USA is more likely to not have been made with unfair labor practices and less chemicals that are harmful to people and our environment. Here is what I found:
This first photo is my MISC. pile. Most of these products were made in Mexico or Malaysia. There were no USA made options.


 This is my USA made pile! So there ARE options out there! You just have to check. The first brand I chose was usually made in China. I also realized that the USA made stuff was usually a little more expensive than the China made options. (unfortunately there were no mechanical pencil choices)


 This is the made in China pile. There was not one backpack in Target NOT made in China. Even the really expensive Swiss ones.... That was disappointing. The only reason I have this pile is because I could not find these items made in any place other than China.

Then, instead of going to Fry's like I usually do I went to Sprouts (I mostly needed produce anyway and their produce is much cheaper). It was a much more relaxing experience because nearly everything there is organic and/made in the USA.
I'm not trying to rant, promise. I'm really just sharing what I'm learning. Because, as much as I enjoy my really comfortable Victoria's Secret Bra or my really cheap t-shirt from Khol's. If a 13 year old girl lost a finger or spent 19 hours in a room sewing to make it for 35 cents a day. It's really not worth it! (And yes, I've had to tell myself that a bunch of times when I look at the prices at some of the fair-trade shopping websites). The point is I don't feel comfortable just pretending like it doesn't happen. So I'm going to do my best not to take part in the system.

Un-related note! Prayers for Jared! He has a PT test coming up! And yeah for ya'll that made it through to the prayer request!! I'm feelin' the love!

1 comment:

  1. <3 Good job! And PRAYING for Jared!!! Did you hear that Timmy is back in the states?? :)

    ReplyDelete