Thursday, September 4, 2014

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Picture this: A meme... the photo: ice in a bucket. the caption: "More than 3 million people poured ice water on their heads resulting in over 100 million dollars being raised for a cure for ALS- Faith in Humanity Restored!"

I love this kind of thing! The idea of so many people coming together for one cause, even better that they are making what is usually a difficult, fun!  

But then the dark cloud descended: embryonic stem cell research, "you are wasting water," and the CEO makes millions a year  etc... came up. Don't misunderstand me, I'm VERY glad I had time to see everyone's reactions and research before I was nominated by my dear sister! (Thanks Tay!) Because honestly, I usually just take people at their word and think the best of everyone. But as I just finished an article about people using the ice bucket challenge to scam others, it is clear that not everyone can be trusted.

More so than ever we need to consider what businesses and organizations we give our money to.

"For where your treasure is there your heart will be also." (Luke 12:34)

It reflects what we believe and who we are.

The Bible instructs us to be good stewards. Consider this website's description of biblical stewardship: "Stewardship defines our practical obedience in the administration of everything under our control, everything entrusted to us. It is the consecration of one’s self and possessions to God's service. Stewardship acknowledges in practice that we do not have the right of control over ourselves or our property—God has that control."

Read more @:http://www.gotquestions.org/biblical-stewardship.html#ixzz3C5VlffkH

My stewardship is more than just money, it is everything I do, how I handle what God has given me. That all being said here is my ice bucket challenge! Call it politically correct but what I do and where I put my money should reflect my belief system. And thus I have given to the Mayo Clinic and by doing so I am not giving my money to an organization that uses or plans to use embryonic stem cells or that may not use their funds as wisely as I think a non-profit should. Also, I am participating in the challenge for awareness (not to mention participating in a worldwide movement which I think is awesome!). AND as you will see, my bucket of ice falls into our watermelon patch, so I'm not wasting any water! Enjoy!





Below is a list of ALL the different articles I read in preparation for my challenge:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/08/31/scam-als-ice-bucket/14692377/

http://time.com/topic/als-ice-bucket-challenge-2/

http://www.alsa.org/research/about-als-research/stem-cells.html

http://stemcells.nih.gov/policy/pages/2009guidelines.aspx

http://onlineforlife.org/blog/answers-to-your-questions-about-the-als-ice-bucket-challenge/

No comments:

Post a Comment